Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The day trestles died

A week ago I moved from Santa Cruz to the mecca of the surf industry, Costa Mesa California. I have been spending most of my days waking up to an early morning surf session at Newport beach. Although 54th or 56th street have been pretty fun, I quickly have recognized a huge difference in the line-up down here. With a strong local vibe, the surf culture in Santa Cruz has always been something that I didn't necessarily agree with.... However, southern California has helped me to see the need for order in the water. Today, for example, while surfing trestles, I had a encounter with a grom that was more than out of the ordinary for me. After being burned once by the kid, he decided that it would be okay for him to paddle directly in front of me while I was going for a left. When three of his desperate kicks to get in the wave nearly came within a foot of my face and my paddle stroke landed mid way down his back, I decided that this would not be tolerated. As he stood up, the leash of the kid caught my elbow and then slid down me arm and into my hand, as if it was begging me to give it a tug. So I snagged the leash and yanked on it just as he decided to try a bottom turn on the waist high wave. Flying out of the water, he became irate. I could not understand it. The guy who just did whatever he could to disrespect me, was angry that I reacted in such a way. After much arguing, and a small scuffle, the guy continued to tell me how I better not ever come to Santa Barbara or else..... Was this a joke..... SB? I told him that there is etiquette in surfing and he needs to learn about it. Based on his reaction, I think he translated that into, " Go get your friend to try and scare me!" And he did just that... I told both of the guys that disrespect like that will not be tolerated with me but they just didn't get it.

Maybe getting mad at these guys was not the answer... It is not there fault that respect and etiquette are not taught here... I was disappointed in myself when it was all said and done, because I allowed a grom to ruin my session. I guess it is something I need to work on. Being aware and accepting to the fact that Orange County doesn't implement order or structure in the line-up the same way as we do in Santa Cruz.

No comments:

Post a Comment