Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ruffo




Earlier today, a Santa Cruz surf legend was sentenced to two years is county jail on drug charges. Anthony Ruffo, who was arguably at the top of his career in the late 80's and early 90's, will be doing time for using and selling meth. This is a hard pill to swallow since the surfer had apparently cleaned up his act in the last year or two. For most individuals, this blow to a reputation could be enough to ruin them, yet I feel that Anthony will return with a even more renewed perspective on life and surfing. I personally saw Ruffo in the water quite a bit this last year, and he seemed to be clean, healthy, and surfing with a new drive. Even on small two foot days, I witnessed Ruffo making huge power turns which I didn't think were possible on such mushy waves. It was enough to make me question my earlier statement of the 80's and 90's being the peak of his career. Although this news is unfortunate and hard for Anthony, his friends, and all other fans, I feel he will be back in full force after he serves his time. I hope Anthony sees the opportunity he has to reflect and respond in a positive way. His influence is already huge in Santa Cruz and beyond, so through this experience he can prove to those around him that drugs are not the answer and that the blessings around us are to great to pass by under the influence of anything. My prayers and support go out to Anthony throughout this process. I can't wait to see you rip again!

Check out the documentary on Ruffo when it comes out if you get the chance... It should be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment